Collection: Hearing Officer Specialist
This two-day training is essential for hearing officers, members of hearing panels, managers who represent the PHA in hearings, and policy analysts. Hearing Officer Specialist is packed with information, covering all aspects of public housing and housing choice voucher hearings. After getting grounded in the regulations, participants examine PHA policies and grievance procedures that determine how regulations are implemented. The seminar will walk participants through coordinating and conducting orderly and fact-based hearings. Commonly heard issues, working with advocacy groups, the 504 coordinator, and reasonable accommodation issues will be addressed. This workshop also includes extensive hands-on practice. In small groups and individually, participants will read cases and make decisions, citing appropriate regulations and PHA policies.
Upon completion of Hearing Officer Specialist, you should have developed and mastered the skills needed to conduct hearings and write decisions with hands-on case studies and best-practice strategies.
- Apply critical thinking skills to the facts of the case in order to integrate HUD regulations and guidance into the PHA's policies and procedures to make reasoned decisions
- Recognize the elements of cohesive and comprehensive hearing and grievance procedures
- Identify how and when to work with the PHA's 504 coordinator, Legal Aid, and advocacy groups
- Conduct orderly appeals and hearings
- Practice making and writing hearing decisions, with appropriate citations, first in a group and then individually
- Recognize housing choice voucher regulations for informal reviews for applicants and informal hearings for participants
- Identify public housing regulations for informal hearing for applicants and grievance hearing for tenants
View the agenda for in-person classes
View the agenda for live web trainings
METHOD: A group-live seminar featuring PowerPoint, case studies, group discussion, course book, and Q&A
LENGTH: Two days
AUDIENCE: Hearing officers, members of hearing panels, managers who represent the PHA in hearings and policy analysts
PROGRAM LEVEL: Basic
ADVANCED PREPARATION: None
REGISTER: Select the seminar you'd like to attend from the list of locations and dates below to order online.